Mercy Medical Center building

The Mercy Medical Center Central Medical Building at Fifth and Jackson streets in Sioux City is shown.

Provided

SIOUX CITY | Mercy Medical Center -- Sioux City is a member of CHE Trinity Health, the second largest Catholic health care system in the United States.

Civic leaders requested that the Sisters of Mercy establish a new hospital in Sioux City in 1890. St. Joseph Mercy Hospital opened its doors on April 11th of that year. Later, St. Joseph and St. Vincent hospitals joined to become Marian Health Center. Today, the hospital is known as Mercy Medical Center.

Mercy's Level II Trauma Center is the longest-standing certified trauma center of its kind in the nation. Verified by the American College of Surgeons since 1997, it is the only Level II trauma center serving western Iowa. The hospital logs more than 1,000 trauma patient admissions per year.

Mercy offers Siouxland's only helicopter ambulance service and open heart surgery program.

This year, the hospital was recognized by Healthgrades as one of America's 100 Best Hospitals for coronary intervention and stroke care.

0
0
0
0
0

Health and Lifestyles reporter

Load comments