This article originally ran Jan. 30, 1972, in the Sioux City Journal.
Downtown Sioux City will have a major hotel and convention center once again when the Aventino, formerly Warrior Motor Inn, reopens this winter.
Audino Construction Co., headed by Frank and Joseph Audino, will resume the hotel operation as soon as extensive remodeling is completed.
The Audino brothers acquired the Warrior and nearby property for a total bid of $602,299 in an auction sale last Dec. 16 in the federal courtroom here.
They submitted the only bid, $525,000, for the hotel and adjacent parking facilities, but had to outbid the First Presbyterian Church of Sioux City for property located north of the church at Seventh and Nebraska streets.
Creditors have four more months from their first meeting to file claims against the bankrupt Warrior. Hotel doors were closed June 30 because of financial difficulties.
The Audinos are remodeling the street and second floor lobbies and ballrooms in an Italian motif with Renaissance atmosphere. Other renovation work will be done in a three phase schedule.
The 200-room motor inn will house between 25 and 40 apartments. The restaurants, teh former Amber Lion, will be leased out in the near future.
The Warrior was built at a cost of $1,500,000 by a group of Sioux City business men in 1930. Their objective was to have a major downtown hotel operated by someone other than Eugene C. Eppley, who already owned the then Martin and West Hotels.
However, Eppley was the operator of the Warrior when it opened Dec. 20, 1930. The hotel was leased on a non-cancelable, non-assignable basis to the Blackstone Realty Co. which operated the Blackstone Hotel in Omaha, among others.
In a transaction not known to the Sioux CItyans, Eppley purchased teh Blackstone Realty Co. from teh Schimmel family, teh owner, and then sold back to the Schimmels all of the other hotels expect the Warrior, keeping the Warrior elase.
The group of local people involved in the transaction did not know of the change in leaseholder until Eppley representatives arrived in Sioux City. The Eppley chain later bought the building before it became associated with the Sheraton and Gotham organizations.