This Romanesque building was constructed around 1895, but it is unclear who was its architect or builder. One of its earliest occupants was Minneapolis Brewing Company agent John Stevenson. He operated a saloon and a distribution business at this location from the mid-1890s until 1900. An assortment of saloons, billiard halls, restaurants and soda fountains have occupied the western third of the building over the years, while the eastern two-thirds have been devoted to a host of dry goods businesses. The building’s most notable occupant was People’s Department Store, which operated here from 1937 to 1994.