Lower Fourth Street

Sioux City businessman Robert Ortel Major built the Major Block in 1889 as an investment. Architect Edward W. Loft designed the Romanesque structure. The Major Block has had numerous occupants over the years including a hardware store and a hotel. During the early 1890s it served as the University of the Northwest’s (later Morningside College) College of Commerce.Currently the 21st Amendment and Francis Canteen are businesses in these buildings at the south side of Fourth Street near the intersection of Virginia Street.

Digital editor