ONAWA, Iowa | A Northwest Iowa man died Tuesday morning, the result of a fire at his residence in Onawa.

Members of the Onawa Volunteer Fire Department and Onawa Police Department responded to a fire at 7:39 a.m. Tuesday as neighbors called 911 after noticing flames coming from a home at 502 14th St. in Onawa. Upon arrival, first responders observed a fire in the residence and the home's interior engulfed by smoke.

Onawa Volunteer Fire Department personnel discovered the body of Garrett Ryan Brown, 37, inside the home. Brown, the only resident of the home, was found deceased, according to officials.

The incident is under investigation by the Iowa State Fire Marshal Division and the Onawa Police Department.

John Ticer, a special agent with the State Fire Marshal Division, said his office hadn't yet pinpointed a cause, though Ticer said, "We are relatively confident there was no foul play."

Ticer said officials are checking the electrical system at the home, concentrating on a couple of items plugged in around the living room and main floor bathroom area.

Ticer interviewed neighbors, including one who noticed the flames on Tuesday morning and kicked in the front door in an attempt to rescue Brown from the blaze.



Load comments