SIOUX CITY | Siouxland businesses and nonprofit groups will observe Veterans Day with programs, free meals, football hockey tickets and free groceries.
* South Sioux City Middle School students are scheduled to hold a program in honor of veterans Friday in South Sioux City. Area veterans are invited to attend a coffee and question and answer session and share information, military items and memories with the students at 9 a.m. in the school commons, 3625 G. St. Students will present a program at 9:45 a.m. in the school auditorium.
* Support Siouxland Soldiers will provide free groceries and a $20 HyVee gift card for veterans from 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday at the New Life Lutheran Church, First Street and Baker Road in Sergeant Bluff, Iowa. Email email@example.com to register.
* Sioux City Musketeers will hold Military Appreciation Night at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Tyson Events Center. The Siouxland Surgery Center and Support Siouxland Soldiers will provide two tickets to servicemembers and veterans who have proper identification. The player's camouflaged jerseys will go up for auction after the game. Tickets are at the Tyson Event Center Box Office, 401 Gordon Drive.
* Veterans and military personnel will be honored during Military Appreciation Day at the University of South Dakota's home football game against University of Northern Iowa, at noon Saturday, in Vermillion, S.D. Veterans and military personnel get free admission; their family members pay half price. Ticket coupons are available at the Muenster University Center, USD ROTC Office, Vermillion Eagles Club, Vermillion National Guard Armory, Yankton National Guard Armory, Sioux City Air National Guard Base and Army National Guard Armory. Coupons must be redeemed for a game ticket at the USD Box office. Call 605-677-5959 for more information.
* The Woodbury County Commission of Veteran Affairs is sponsoring a Veterans Day observance on Monday. The event is 11 a.m. at the Woodbury County Courthouse, 620 Douglas St. in Sioux City. Featured speaker will be Ronald Kerr, commission chairman and Vietnam veteran. Posts and Chapters of various county veterans’ organizations are encouraged to be present with their colors and will be recognized.
Area restaurants serving free meals to veterans with proper military identification are:
* WinnaVegas Casino Resort, 1500 330th St., Sloan, Iowa: Friday-Sunday; Breakfast, lunch or dinner buffet, hat or t-shirt and $5 free play. Limit one per guest.
* Olive Garden, 4930 Sergeant Road, Sioux City: all day Sunday.
* Applebee's, 1700 Hamilton Blvd., and 4545 Southern Hills Drive, Sioux City: all day Sunday.
* Chili's, 110 Nebraska St., Sioux City: all day Sunday.
* Golden Corral, 5230 Sergeant Road, Sioux City: 4-9 p.m. Monday.
Veterans can also get free breadsticks at Little Caesars, 2121 Hamilton Blvd. in Sioux City, all day Sunday and breakfast at Siouxland Hy-Vee locations 7-11 a.m. on Monday.