SIOUX CITY | Prosecutors have dismissed the case against a Sioux City couple accused of stabbing and burning a man with a kitchen utensil, then robbing him. The investigation into the incident continues.
Woodbury County Attorney Patrick Jennings filed a motion Tuesday to dismiss first-degree robbery and willful injury charges against Melissa Lowe, 33, and Brandon Keleher, 32.
In his motion, Jennings said, "Further investigation needs to be conducted, including the review of medical reports, the interviewing of additional people who may have knowledge of the events in this case and testing of dangerous weapon allegedly used in this assault."
Associate District Judge John Nelson granted the motion Tuesday.
Jennings said charges can be refiled at a later date. Had the charges not been dismissed, prosecutors would have faced a 90-day speedy trial deadline.
Jennings said investigators want to test the weapon recovered at the scene to verify that it was the weapon used in the assault. Investigators also plan other witness interviews.
"We need to get further details on exactly what happened to further prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt," Jennings said.
Officers were called to an apartment building at 1623 Nebraska St. at about 3 a.m. Aug. 24 after one of the suspects' neighbors called to complain about a disturbance.
When police arrived, they found the victim, who had been sliced and cut with a knife and burned on his shoulder and chest with a heated potato masher, police said. The man also had a broken nose.
Lowe and Keleher also were accused of taking the victim's wallet and debit card.
Police said the victim met the assailants earlier that night through mutual friends. He was taken to a hospital and later released.
The victim's mother, who did not want her name released, declined to comment on the record Wednesday.