Fire stock

SIOUX CITY | A fire that damaged a home on West Fourth Street last week was started by the heating element of a clothes dryer, according to fire officials. 

Shortly after 1:30 p.m. Oct. 25, Sioux City Fire Rescue had responded to a structure fire at the rear of a one-story, single-family home at 2005 W. 14th St.

According to a Sioux City Fire Rescue news release issued Wednesday morning, firefighters encountered heavy flames at the structure. The home was occupied, but no one was home at the time of the fire. Eighteen firefighters responded to extinguish the fire, and the home was red-tagged. The American Red Cross is assisting the occupants. 

Fire investigators have determined the fire was caused by a clothes dryer located on the main floor of the home, the release said. The rear panel had previously been removed for repairs, allowing the appliance's heating element to ignite nearby combustibles, the release said. 

0
0
0
0
0

City hall reporter

Load comments