Fire stock

LAKE VIEW, Iowa | A rural Lake View, Iowa, man died Tuesday afternoon after re-entering his house while it was on fire, according to Sac County authorities. 

Jerry Wayne Brauckman, 47, died as a result of a fire that occurred shortly before 4 p.m. Tuesday at his residence, 3054 350th St. in Sac County, according to a news release from the Sac County Sheriff's Office. 

The release said the Lake View Fire Department and the sheriff's office were dispatched for a fire report that a man was still inside his house. When they arrived, firefighters met Pamela Huss-Brauckman, 43, who told them that her husband had re-entered the home.

Firefighters located Brauckman, deceased, outside the home on the south side, the release said. 

Huss-Brauckman was transported to Loring Hospital in Sac City with non-life-threatening injuries, the release said. 

During an investigation involving the Iowa State Fire Marshal's Office, authorities determined both residents had been upstairs in their home and evacuated safely when they could smell smoke.

The release said Brauckman re-entered the home to see if he could determine the smoke's source and became disoriented. He was later able to find his way to an enclosed porch on the south side of the home, where he was able to break out a window and crawl outside the residence. 

Authorities determined the fire began on the main floor of the southwest room and believe it started in the area of a space heater. The home received extensive smoke and fire damage. 

Brauckman has been taken to the State Medical Examiner's Office in Ankeny, Iowa, for an autopsy. 

Also assisting at the scene were the Wall Lake Fire Department, Lake View Police, and ambulances from Lake View and Sac City. 

0
0
0
0
0

City hall reporter

Load comments