SOUTH SIOUX CITY | The final construction stage is now complete on a new force main separating sewage from South Sioux City's Roth Industrial Park from the residential line.
Good weather helped the project finish on Sunday, well before its projected end-of-July completion, said public works director Bob Livermore.
Contractor Mark Albenesius Inc. completed the first phase of the force main project late last year to separate wastewater from industries in the Roth Industrial Park away from the sewer line they had previously shared with residents.
The second phase completed the line and eliminated a temporary lift station, which backed up twice in early February, spilling thousands of gallons of industrial waste into a ditch south of Interstate 129 in South Sioux City.
"The big part is we no longer need the temporary lift station there," Livermore said. "That is being dismantled, and it just completes the entire project."
City officials staged the emergency project as a response to hydrogen sulfide gas issues that displaced as many as two dozen families in fall 2016. Many families have since moved back into their homes, but some remain displaced.
In May, 16 families and one business entity filed tort claims against the city, detailing $35 million in alleged property damages and personal injuries resulting from exposure to potentially-deadly fumes.
To fund the project, South Sioux City applied for a $1.5 million loan from a low-interest state loan program.