SIOUX CITY | A third person has been arrested and charged in connection with a series of suspicious house fires, officials said.

Javen D’ante Mobley, 18, was arrested Wednesday afternoon and charged with second-degree arson and third-degree burglary in a Sept. 1 fire in the 1100 block of Villa Avenue.

The blaze was the third fire at the same address within a matter of days. Fires were also reported at the house on Aug. 23 and Aug. 30, leading the city to red-tag the property as uninhabitable. Officials have said all three fires, as well as two fires at other addresses, were intentional and related.

Two other suspects were arrested last week in the case. Daisy Castillo, 32, faces felony third-degree burglary and second-degree arson charges, and a 14-year-old juvenile is charged with felony first-degree arson.

Sioux City Fire Marshal Mark Aesoph said Mobley and Castillo broke into the Villa Avenue house and stole items Sept. 1 and started that fire. He did not immediately have information about which fire the juvenile's charge stems from.

Meanwhile, officials are continuing to investigate the two other fires and a sixth one they consider suspicious.

Fires were reported Aug. 24 in the 900 block of West Sixth Street, Sept. 9 in the 200 block of Main Street and Saturday night in the 900 block of Court Street.

Officials believe the Aug. 24 and Sept. 9 fires are connected to the three fires at the Villa Avenue house because all five involved ignitable fluids and multiple points of origins.

Aesoph said Saturday's Court Street fire is considered suspicious because the house was red-tagged and unoccupied.

“It’s just the fact that it’s a vacant house with no utilities,” he said. “Obviously there shouldn’t be anything or anyone there to start a fire.”

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments