Um ... you don't live here.

ROYAL, Iowa | What a way to start the week.

A resident of rural Royal woke up Sunday morning to find an intruder snoozing in one of his living room chairs. 

The stranger then woke up to a handful of charges. 

The Clay County Sheriff's Office says the home's occupant woke up Sunday to see 26-year-old Matthew T. Soat, of Linn Grove, Iowa, "passed out" in a chair in his living room. The man also found his front door had been damaged when Soat had broken into his home. 

Authorities have charged Soat with trespassing, third-degree criminal mischief, operating while intoxicated and multiple traffic citations. 

The Clay County Sheriff's Office says Soat had been operating a vehicle and went into the ditch south of the Royal residence.

After putting his car in the ditch, Soat had broken into the unsuspecting man's home, entering through the front door and had caused the "extensive damage" to the door frame. 

Where there's fake smoke...

Give the special effects guy a raise. 

Things got a bit too real for the fire alarms at a Storm Lake golf course during an event Saturday, as a theatrical smoke machine activated the alarm system, causing firefighters to rush to the scene. 

A news release from the Storm Lake Fire Department says just before 10 p.m. Saturday, the department responded to the Sunrise Pointe Golf Course Clubhouse, 1528 East Lakeshore Drive, in reference to an automated fire alarm. 

Upon arrival, firefighters determined that a theatrical smoke machine being used at an event had activated the system. There was no fire and no damage. 

Firefighters were gone from the scene in about 10 minutes. 

0
0
0
0
0

City hall reporter

Load comments