Subscribe for 33¢ / day

Fire at the mattress store

SIOUX CITY -- You might say that a trailer full of mattresses turned into a "hotbed" of crime Sunday evening when it went up in flames in a suspected arson incident.

Michael Delier, 64, was taken into custody after Sioux City Fire and Rescue were called to a report of the fire at Bargain Bedding, 2130 Riverside Blvd at 7 p.m. He was charged with arson in the second degree.

Firefighters discovered that there was damage to the trailer, its content as well as to a garage next door. Total damage was estimated at $2,500.

The Sioux City Police Department said the investigation into this case is ongoing.

Should've used spellcheck

SIOUX CITY -- She needed a better disguise -- and better spelling -- to pull this one off. 

A Sioux City woman was charged with forgery and identity theft last week after police say she misspelled the name she was forging on a $750 check while attempting to cash using someone else's ID. 

It didn't take long for the bank teller to realize something was up. 

Court documents say on Aug. 7, 2017, Cassandra Marie Miller, 28, attempted to cash a check that had been stolen from an account holder at Iowa-Nebraska State Bank. Documents say she wrote the stolen check out for $750 and made it payable to a third name, for which she had an ID. 

But she signed the signature with an additional letter. 

Court documents say Miller presented the ID to the bank teller at Iowa-Nebraska State bank, 3410 Singing Hills Blvd., and attempted to cash the check, but the teller noticed Miller did not look like the woman pictured in the ID, nor did the signature on the check look like the check holder's typical signature.

The teller had Miller provide an inked thumb print and a phone number, then kept the check to show her branch manager. Miller took the ID and left the bank.

The bank reported the check later in the week, and they found several other checks stolen from the same woman had been passed in other jurisdictions. 

Police attempted to locate Miller but was told she had left for Texas. She was then found and arrested last week. 


City hall reporter

Load comments