Details for Ask The Nurse
Ask The Nurse; What are my rights as an elderly person?
The elderly have certain rights and protections under the law. The nursing home must list and give all new residents a copy of these rights.
These resident rights include, but are not limited to:
- The right to be treated with dignity and respect.
- The right to be informed in writing about services and fees before you enter the nursing home.
- The right to manage your own money or to choose someone else you trust to do this for you.
- The right to privacy, and to keep and use your personal belongings and property as long as it doesn’t interfere with the rights, health, or safety of others.
- The right to be informed about your medical condition, medications and to see your own doctor. You also have the right to refuse medications and treatments.
- The right to have a choice over your schedule (for example, when you get up and go to sleep), your activities and other preferences that are important to you.
- The right to an environment more like a home that maximizes your comfort and provides you with assistance to be as independent as possible.
5501 Gordon Drive East
Sioux City, IA 51106