New Arena System for Award-Winning Free-to-Play MMORPG Unveiled
SAN FRANCISCO - February 26, 2009 - Frogster America, Inc. today unveiled a new arena system for man-to-man combat, in Runes of Magic, the Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) that is redefining the standard for free-to-play titles. The publisher plans to introduce the one on one arena system in early March. After the release of the patch, the best players in the arena system will have the opportunity to win an exclusive mount. Runes of Magic officially launches on March 19, 2009.
"Our goal is to continue to add innovative features that bring new dimensions to the game and make Runes of Magic a free-to-play game unlike any other," said Sean Kauppinen, president and CEO of Frogster America, Inc. "Man-to-man PvP combat, leaderboards and a ranking system are features that make Runes of Magic a game that should appeal to fans of fighting and FPS games in addition to casual and MMO gamers."
In the heart of Dust Devil Canyon lies the Obsidian Bastion, capital city and fortress of the NPC faction ‘The Order of Dark Glory'. The city's central square holds an arena in which mercenaries can gain combat experience and measure their powers against rivals. To guarantee a balanced contest, players register with the Arena Master, who automatically assigns opponents with similar statistics. The arena will act as a tool to teach players how to control their avatars: how their character should be equipped, the skills required for PvP and how dual classes should be personalized for their own style of play. During every three minutes of combat, a magical seal appears which when touched, releases a random effect - such as a healing or strength enhancing spell.
Players receive credits in the form of arena coins for points scored each week. Overall and weekly points will be tracked in a ranking system to show the world who is the best among one on one combatants. When these are totalled at the end of the month, the best players will receive an exclusive mount for one month.
Following the release on March 19th, Frogster plans to further expand on the arena system. Then among other things, certain items will also be on offer to players to earn through man-on-man combat. Players can find out more about the one on one arena system on the official website http://www.runesofmagic.com/en/index.html.
Runes of Magic went into open beta with English and German versions in mid-December 2008. Anyone interested can now download the game and enter the world after creating an account for free at: www.runesofmagic.com.
About Runes of Magic
Runes of Magic is the Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) that is redefining the standard for free-to-play titles. With an exciting and engaging story, more than 1,000 quests at launch and 30 character class combinations, Runes of Magic is the most immersive, content-rich free-to-play MMO game ever created. More than 450,000 people have already signed up and entered the world with hundreds of thousands more expected as word of the game's features and community spread each day. Already a winner of multiple awards for its content and overall gameplay, Runes of Magic is expected to be a major international hit in 2009 and beyond. For more information, please visit: www.runesofmagic.com
Runes of Magic features:
- Free-to-play: no monthly fees, free download
- Extensive dual class system (six primary and secondary classes)
- Versatile spell- and attack-combinations
- Enthralling background story
- More than 1,000 quests and quest series on launch
- No zone boundaries thanks to seamless architecture
- Dungeons: Instanced and tile based as well as persistent
- Individually developable skills and spells
- Armor sets with special bonuses
- Dynamic item system with hundreds of runes for upgrading
- Optional PvP system with arena battles and guild wars
- Ranking system with player-ranking lists
- Multitude of unique mounts
- Epic crafting system with the chance to improve existing items
- Personalization of player houses through individual furnishing
- Reputation system
- Customizable user interface with the option to use Add-Ons
- Map and radar system to find dealers, resources and quests easily
- In-game auction houses for trading items
- Teleport-Runes for instant travel
- Mouse and keyboard controls for movement
- Regular updates with new content
- Cross-server fights in three-server-battle in development
- Guild houses in special zones in development