SIOUX CITY | Signs of the times? Try the drive-in movie theater, a relic that, in rare cases, can elicit a blank stare from anyone under the age of, say, 40.
One does still exist in the far northeast reaches of Siouxland, between Spirit Lake and Estherville, Iowa. Like those found four decades ago in and around Sioux City, that particular drive-in has a summertime window of opportunity in which to play.
There were four drive-in theaters in the Sioux City area years ago, according to Grace Linden, curator of history for the Sioux City Public Museum.
The Gordon Twin Drive-In appealed to the masses in Riverside; the Highway 75 Drive-In rose on Lewis Boulevard (or at 2900 North Highway 75 in Sioux City); the Capri Drive-in played on Highway 75 South, just north of Sergeant Bluff; and the 77 Drive-In was an entertainment staple on Highway 77 in South Sioux City.
Linden noted that the Gordon Twin started in 1954 and closed in 1985. The merry-go-round at the theater was from the old Riverview Amusement Park in Riverside Park. There were two screens on opposite ends of the theater grounds, with the projection building in the center.
The Gordon Twin Drive-In closed when Interstate 29 was built at that site.
The Highway 75 theater opened in 1948 and closed in 1987 or 1988. The Capri Drive-In opened in 1970. A closing date for the Capri isn't known, according to museum records.
And the date of closure for the '77 Drive-In isn't readily available.