SIOUX CITY | The Saturday in the Park free outdoor concert is headlined by Joss Stone, a British singer-songwriter.
She is slated to take the stage at Grandview Park in Sioux City at 8:45 p.m. Saturday, as the seventh act of a concert that begins at noon.
Saturday in the Park organizer Dave Bernstein said Stone was initially chosen to perform at Saturday in the Park in 2012. But Stone postponed her tour, including the Sioux City date, due to a delay in her recording schedule.
“Really looking forward to her performance here,” said Bernstein.
Bernstein said the England-born singer plays a combination of soul, funk and R&B, and seldom performs in the United States.
Here are some key facts about Stone:
(1) She's been a music performer for more than half her life. Stone, 30, embarked on her career by age 13, and was signed to a major record label contract at 15.
(2) Her 2007 album, "Introducing Joss Stone," wasn't her first album, in spite of the title. It has been her most successful disc, reaching No. 2 on the Billboard chart in the U.S. Her albums have been more successful in Great Britain.
(3) Her latest disc is "Water For Your Soul," and she has toured to support the album since 2015. Her debut was with "The Soul Sessions," released at age 16.
(4) Stone has been nominated for five Grammy Awards, and won one in 2006. That was for Best R&B Performance By A Duo Or Group, for "Family Affair," which she performed with John Legend, as a cover of the old Sly & The Family Stone song.
(5) Joss Stone isn't her real name, as she was born Joscelyn Eve Stoker, so the Joss is a sort of contraction of her first name.