SIOUX CITY -- It has been a year since Tom Petty, whose career reached iconic status through charting hits and successful tours, died in 2017.
It has been a hard few years with the loss of accomplished musicians since 2016, a period in which David Bowie, Prince, Chris Cornell and Petty, who was 66, have died.
Just days before, Petty and the Heartbreakers had wrapped up a six-month tour at the Hollywood Bowl in California. Petty said in a September 2017 interview he planned "to stop working for a time," but the band had no plans to stop performing or recording.
A native of Florida, Petty's career that first rose beginning in the late 1970s. He was known for the jangly Rickenbacker guitar sound, something that had been largely missing from rock after The Byrds in the late 1960s.
He had a nearly 20-year span of hits on music charts.
In rankings from Billboard, here is a list of Petty's five top charting songs, which include songs with the Heartbreakers, his solo work and collaborations with other performers.
You have free articles remaining.
(1) "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" by Stevie Nicks with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. That huge hit peaked at No. 3 in September 1981. It was included on the "Bella Donna" album by Nicks.
(2) Petty's top solo hit was "Free Fallin," which reached No. 7 in January 1990. The accompanying video showed Petty moving through notable California locales.
(3) Petty's third song to crack the Top 10 came in February 1980, when "Don't Do Me Like That" with the Heartbreakers reached No. 10. That song was from the "Damn The Torpedoes" album.
(4) Another hit from the "Full Moon Fever" solo album that spawned "Free Fallin" was "I Won't Back Down." That song just fell short of the Top 10, hitting a peak of No.12 in July 1989.
(5) Petty's discography also includes an iconic music video of the 1980s. The surreal video to "Don't Come Around Here No More" had an "Alice in Wonderland" theme. The song by Petty and the Heartbreakers reached No. 13 on Billboard in May 1985.
Copyright 2018 The Sioux City Journal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.