You are the owner of this article.
Cigarette caused 11th Street fire: Official

Cigarette caused 11th Street fire: Official

{{featured_button_text}}
11th Street fire

Sioux City firefighters assist a man found inside a smoke-filled home on 11th Street Thursday morning. The man was taken to a local hospital. Authorities say the fire started in the basement.

SIOUX CITY | A cigarette smoldering in a chair sparked a house fire that injured one person in Sioux City on Thursday, officials said Friday. 

The fire was reported at a ranch-style house in the 2800 block of 11th Street at 9:19 a.m.

Firefighters found an unconscious man on the first floor of the home. The man, 39, was given oxygen as he sat with rescuers in front of the home. He climbed into a stretcher and was taken to Mercy Medical Center -- Sioux City.

Officials wouldn't release his name or condition, but said his injuries were not life threatening.

The fire started in a chair in the basement where people had previously been smoking, said Sioux City Fire Marshal Mark Aesoph.

He said heat from the fire melted a water line, which leaked and put out the blaze before firefighters arrived.

The house had smoke damage. A city inspector deemed it uninhabitable.

A benefit fund for resident Brooke Hagen has been set up at Telco Triad Community Credit Union. Donations to the Brooke Hagen Fire Fund can be made at any of the credit union's branches.

0
0
0
0
0

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News