top story Decades: 52 photos looking back at Sioux City in the 1940s From the Decades: A look back at Sioux City history series Aug 19, 2019 Facebook Twitter SMS Email Print Save Jump back to the 1940s and revisit Sioux City's biggest infrastructure projects, liveliest downtown happenings and more. Aalfs Manufacturing historic An assembly line at the Aalfs Manufacturing Co. plant in Sioux City is shown in a 1940s-era photo. Sioux City Journal file photo Capital Theater 1940-1959 The Capital Theater was locatedon Nebraska Street in downtown Sioux City. Sioux City Public Museum Badgerow Building Early 1940s photo of the Badgerow Building in Sioux City. Sioux City Public Museum Salvation Army People donate money in a Salvation Army kettle in the 1940s. Provided by Sioux City Public Museum Chesterfield Chesterfield Sioux City Public Museum Morningside Avenue A view of Morningside Avenue. Provided by Sioux City Public Museum Pierce Street 1941 Pierce Street is shown in 1941. Streetcars were once the main mode of transportation in Sioux City. Provided by Sioux City Public Museum Bishop Cafeteria Bishop Cafeteria, also known as Bishop's, was located on the first floor of the Commerce Building at the southeast corner of Sixth and Nebraska streets until the 1980s when the business moved to the Southern Hills Mall. This photo was taken in the late 1940s. Provided by Sioux City Public Museum Blizzard: 1940 Wind blows snow along Fourth Street in Sioux City on Nov. 11, 1940. Temperatures fell as much as 30 degrees in two hours that day. Provided Sioux City's Memorial Drive Sioux City officials dedicate the widened Memorial Drive in 1940. Nicknamed "The Memorial Mile," the road had 140 elm trees planted on either side in honor of Woodbury County residents who died in World War I. The trees and the markers that stood by them have long since disappeared. Provided by Sioux City Public Museum Jennings street house A home in the 2800 block of Jennings Street in Sioux City is shown in the 1940s. Residents on the block in 1914 wanted the City Council to approve measures to narrow the street. Provided by the Sioux City Public Museum Reservoir Park Reservoir Park at 37th and Virginia streets in Sioux City is shown in the 1940s. The park was renamed Sutherland Park in 1963. Provided by Sioux City Public Museum Battery Building Workers are shown outside the Battery Building, which housed Sioux City Battery Co. starting in the 1940s. Provided by Sioux City Entertainment Inc. Savoy Supper Club/Historic Fourth Historic Fourth Street as it appeared in the 1940s. At the time this photo was taken, there were about as many people living in Sioux City as there are now. Provided Sadoff's Men's Clothing store In this photo provided by the Sioux City Public Museum, Nathan Sadoff is shown at his downtown Sioux City men's clothing store in the late 1940s or early 1950s. Provided Sioux City circa 1940-1959 A view of Riverside can be seen in this photo taken from the bluffs between 1940-1959. Provided Leif Erikson Pool The Leif Erikson pool was built in 1941. A new version opened in 1979. Sioux City Public Museum Sioux City Journal history Sioux City Tribune. Courtesy Sioux City Public Museum Morningside drama department Student performers prepare to go on stage in 1942. Morningside College Archives Elevated railway piers Supports for an elevated railroad are shown at Second and Fowler streets in Sioux City on July 19, 1942. Talk began of building the elevated railway in July 1888. George Newman, Sioux City Journal file First World War Cannon This photo from the July 25, 1954, Journal shows a cannon used in World War I in France that was awarded to the Sioux City chapter of the Military Order of the Purple Heart by the U.S. War Department and dedicated in the veterans' plot at Memorial Park Cemetery. Journal file photo Louise Sammons Freese Louise Sammons Freese, longtime columnist for the Sioux City Journal and a member of the Perkins family, is shown reading the Journal in October 1947. Provided by Sioux City Public Museum City Hall 1948 This structure, shown in this Dec 22, 1948 photo, served as the city hall for 31 years before its interior was severely damaged by a fire that swept through it in 1944. Journal file photo Judas goats In this photo, taken circa 1945, a Judas goat leads a group of sheep up a ramp to their deaths at the Cudahy meatpacking plant in Sioux City. Provided Judas goats In this photo, taken circa 1945, a Judas goat leads a group of sheep up a ramp to their deaths at the Cudahy meatpacking plant in Sioux City. Provided Labor Day Parade Labor Day Parade near 6th and Pierce streets in 1945. Sioux City Public Museum Labor Day Parade Labor Day Parade near 4th and Pierce streets, 1945. Sioux City Public Museum Sioux City Air Base Transport planes sit at the Sioux City Air Base in 1945. Agencies are still disputing who should pay to clean up fuel spills that may be from the era. Journal file photo Condon Motor Co. Charles Harrison "C.W." Condon, Sr. started a full service heavy-duty truck dealership in 1945 at 623 Pearl St. in Sioux City. His son, Chuck, joined the business in 1959. Journal file photo Combination bridge, 1945 The Combination bridge spanning the Missouri River between Sioux City and South Sioux City is swung open to let larger vessels pass through in this April 13, 1945 photo. Journal file photo by George Newman 1945 Christmas Thousands gather outside the Younker-Davidson's store in downtown Sioux City during the holidays in 1945. Journal file photo Sioux City Sue In 1946, Gayle Jean Hofstad was designated the official "Sioux City Sue," in a pageant judged by the song's composer, Dick Thomas. She was whisked away to Hollywood to see about a possible movie career -- which apparently never materialized. Provided Labor Day Parade Labor Day Parade at 4th and Douglas streets, 1946. Sioux City Public Museum Labor Day Parade Labor Day Parade at 4th and Douglas streets, 1946. Sioux City Public Museum Baber's Vis-Vita Sales The home of Baber's Vis-Vita Sales Co. at Sixth Street and Floyd Boulevard. Founded in 1946 as a one-man operation selling feed to Siouxland livestock producers by the late philanthropist, Alva Baber, Vis-Vita has marked steady expansion since its inception. Journal file photo 1947: International Milling Co. A fire destroyed the International Milliong Co.'s plant in Leeds the morning of April 19, 1947. Sioux City Public Museum Vigen Motor Company Vigen Motor Co., 200 W. 7th St., circa 1947. Sioux City Public Museum Carlin Motor Company Carlin Motor Company, dealer for Lincoln and Mercury automobiles, moved to 655 Water St. in 1947. It was formerly at 310 W. 7th St. Latest garage equipment and facilities were incorporated to make one of the most modern garages in the area. Sioux City Public Museum Community House City Champions This photo features Community House City Champions, Bottoms area, Sioux City, 1947. John Palmolea is pictured second row on the left. Dolly Palmolea Kresge building The new Kresge building, shown in this Sept. 21, 1947 photo. The building fronts on Pierce street between Fourth and Fifth streets. The completed structure at 423 Fourth St., will give the store a depth of 150 feet on Pierce street. Journal file photo H&H Building in downtown Sioux City The American Legion Parade is shown in front of the H&H Building, right, in the 500 block of Fourth Street in Sioux City. Provided by Sioux City Public Museum Blizzard: 1947 Branches on bushes around the Grandview Park Rose Garden bend under the weight of snowfall in 1947. Journal file photo 185th Birthday "The Raggity Ann Militia" was the nickname given to the air guard in 1947, just after its organization in Sioux City. An inspection photo of that time shows the variety of World War II uniforms that the men wore then. 1948: Unitarian Church fire The Unitarian Church Fire, located at southeast corner of 10th and Douglas streets, took place July 29, 1948. Sioux City Public Museum Heelan High School groundbreaking Father Francis Staber, Father Richard Sweeney, Bishop Joseph Mueller, Father Frank Greteman behind the Bishop, Monsignor Kevane, Mayor Dan J. Conley, Father C. Hayes, Father Francis Friedel behind Father Hayes and Father Regis at the groundbreaking ceremony Oct. 12, 1948 on the corner of 11th and Douglas streets. Sioux City Public Museum Heelan High School construction 1948 Construction at Heelan High School Oct. 25, 1948. Sioux City Public Museum Heelan High School construction Construction at Heelan High School on Dec. 1, 1948. Sioux City Public Museum Streetcars out to pasture Streetcars that were retired after the inauguration of bus service are shown June 20, 1948, on the edge of a cornfield near Memorial Drive. Journal file photo Heelan High School Heelan High School opened its doors to the first class in 1949. Sioux City Public Museum Dividend Oil Co. The Dividend Oil Co. recently opened a new type of self-serve filling station at Seventh and Douglas streets in downtown Sioux City, shown in this photo from May 29, 1949. The firm employs 10 Sioux City girls who act as cashiers and will acquaint customers with the new type of service. The station has 12 new type pumps which means service can be readily rendered without spillage. The firm is managed by Julius J. Arkin. Journal file photo Blizzard: 1949 This unidentified man stands on top of a snow drift in which a tunnel has been dug in this 1949 photo. Journal file photo Halloween in 1949 A child in costume marches in a Halloween parade in 1949. Provided Previous Next More in Decades: A look back at Sioux City history (3 of 6) Decades: 22 photos looking back at Sioux City in the 1950s Read more Tags Sioux City History Archives Photographs Pictures Sioux City Public Museum Evergreen In this Series Decades: A look back at Sioux City history 1 Aug 5, 2019 collection Decades: 40 photos looking back at Sioux City in the 1920s 2 Aug 12, 2019 collection Decades: 14 photos looking back at Sioux City in the 1930s 3 Aug 19, 2019 collection Decades: 52 photos looking back at Sioux City in the 1940s 6 updates As featured on Decades: A look back at Sioux City history More information Decades: 22 photos looking back at Sioux City in the 1950sDecades: 20 photos looking back at Sioux City in the 1960s5 things you didn't know were invented in IowaA look back: Awesome Biker Nights photosPhotos: Sioux City swimming pools through the yearsPhotos: Lower Fourth Street through the 20th centuryDecades: 31 photos looking back at Sioux City in the 1970sDecades: 14 photos looking back at Sioux City in the 1930sDecades: 40 photos looking back at Sioux City in the 1920sOnawa, Iowa, John Deere dealership soldPhotos: Dangerous ObsessionsPHOTOS: Historic images of Sioux City's South Bottoms neighborhoodFloyd River Flood 1953Photos: History of the NormandyPHOTOS: Sioux City Journal historyLook back: Photos documenting Morningside history12 of the deadliest disasters in Nebraska historyNavy veteran walking cross-country stops in Sioux City, raising awareness of veteran suicideFor Sioux City couple, visit to Normandy brings D-Day history to lifeMosquitoes most likely to transmit West Nile virus thrive in western IowaSergeant Floyd Welcome Center celebrates Siouxland's history with the Missouri RiverUnable to take Honor Flight to Washington, Sioux Center veteran gets ceremony closer to homeWorld War II-era bomber showcased in Sioux City this week13 of the strangest (or creepiest) items in the Sioux City Public MuseumMeyer Brothers purchases Mohr Funeral Home; South Sioux location to merge with Becker-HuntTwo-part Revolutionary War series to conclude at Encounter CenterMarriage licenses issued in Woodbury CountySioux City Council to consider removal of historic chapel at Sioux Gateway AirportSioux City Council approves agreement for removal of airport's historic chapel Facebook Twitter SMS Email Print Save Load comments Recommended More Latest Local Offers Four Brothers Bar and Grill lunch + dinner JoDean's Steak House & Lounge Begin your Sunday at JoDean's! Thorpe & Co. Jewellers September is HUNGER ACTION MONTH and Thorpe's is Once Again Helping the Food Bank!