Mostly sunny. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High near 85F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph..
Partly cloudy skies. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. Low 69F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
Updated: September 19, 2019 @ 10:06 am
Go back in time to the hot spots of Sioux City in the 1960s, from downtown to the stockyards.
Cars are shown parked on Fourth Street in 1961, looking east from Water Street. Bomgaars at the time was at 204-206 Fourth St. Parking surveys in 1963 indicated that 20,000 vehicles parked in downtown Sioux City each day.
This photo is from the 1966 River-Cade celebration, facing north from the Marina Inn on the Nebraska side of the Missouri River toward downtown Sioux City. River-Cade was launched in 1964 to celebrate the opening of a year-round 6-foot navigation channel on the Missouri River between Sioux City and St. Louis, Missouri.
Facing east on Fourth Street toward its intersection with Pierce Street, 1966.
Facing west on 6th Street from Nebraska Street, 1962.
The Abu Bekr White Horse Mounted Patrol in the early 1960s. After its appearance in Sioux City in 1961, its next appearance was 1965.
The Sioux City Stockyards, from around 1965.
The Hotel Mayfair is shown in 1960. The hotel was previously known as the Howard Hotel and was at Third and Nebraska streets.
The Sioux City Art Center at 513 Nebraska St. is shown in the 1960s. The center in 1964 added 60 new works to the permanent collection.
A barge filled with molasses for the Kay Dee Feed Co., 1919 Grand Ave., and consignee, Industrial Molasses, is pushed under the Interstate 29 bridge April 19, 1964, by the towboat Atchison. The barge was the first commercial vessel to arrive in Sioux City since May 1960, and the first ever to go up the new Floyd River channel.
Crews work on the Floyd River in the South Bottoms area of Sioux City. Rechannelization efforts started in the early 1960s. The flood control project signaled the final demise of the South Bottoms neighborhood.
A view of Morningside Avenue taken in November 1963.
Working in the Sioux City Journal newsroom in the 1960s are, from left, Karen Luken, wire editor; Cathy (Cook) Shively, reporter; Dianne (Seeland) Rose, reporter; Pam Cotton, librarian; Robert Hentges, local editor; Ben Shuman, state editor; and Robert Dodsley, news editor.
John F. Kennedy campaigns for president at the Sioux City stockyards on Sept. 22, 1960.
You could get just about anything you wanted at Katz Drug Store, shown in this photo. The store, opened by two enterprising brothers from Kansas City, Mo., did a lively business from 1936 to 1960 in Sioux City.
This undated photo from the 1960s shows thousands of gift packages, filled with toys and treats, to given to needy children for Christmas through the Journal-sponsored Goodfellow fund. Truckloads of toys are sorted and packed by volunteers, then are distributed at Goodfellow headquarters.
In 1960, the Floyd Monument becomes the first National Historic Landmark designated by the National Park Service and the U.S. Department of the Interior. This photo shows the dedicatory celebration. The remains of Sgt. Charles Floyd, the only member of the Lewis and Clark expedition to die during the trip, are in urns that are encased in the concrete core of the current monument. Floyd died and was buried with military honors Aug. 20, 1804.
A woman models a Kalins Fur Fashions coat at an event in Sioux City around 1960.
The Sioux Gateway Airport control tower is shown in the 1960s. It was announced the structure would be replaced in 1988.
Sioux City’s South Bottoms is shown looking toward downtown in this 1960s photo.
More in Decades: A look back at Sioux City history (5 of 6)
Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.