Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

No injuries in Sioux City house fires Sunday night, Monday morning

  • Updated
  • 0
Fire stock rig

SIOUX CITY | Sioux City Fire Rescue was busy Sunday night and early Monday morning fighting two house fires.

The department was called out around 9 p.m. Sunday for reports of a structure fire at 1521 S. Patterson St. Firefighters reported light smoke visible inside the single-family home, a release from Sioux City Fire Rescue said.

Crews located a fire in the attic and quickly put it out. After an investigation, officials determined an electrical wire failure caused the fire, which burned a small area of insulation, the release said. No injuries were reported.

A second house fire was reported at 5:30 a.m. Monday at 404 Market St., where fire crews reported smoke coming from the house. 

The fire was in the basement and had spread to the main floor. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, which started when an overheated extension cord ignited and caught some nearby clothing on fire.

City officials red-tagged the house, the Fire Prevention Bureau said.

Officials from Sioux City Fire Rescue said in a statement that extension cords aren’t meant to provide permanent power to electrical appliances. Prolonged use of extension cords increases the chances a fire can start.

0 Comments
0
0
0
0
0

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News