Go back in time with our historic photos of the Leeds neighborhood in Sioux City.
Leeds businesses in 1893 on the corner of Tyler Street and Floyd Boulevard. Some buildings still exist today.
Leeds residents stand outside the Leeds Volunteer Fire Company. The fire house was built in 1892 and quickly became a social gathering area for the community.
Elmwood mansion in the early 1900s after a third floor and Greek pillars were added. This was the home to four generations of the Tredway family. The building was demolished in 1988.
Hawthorne School was built in 1891 on the corner of 44th and Central streets. It was the first public school house in Leeds and cost $18,448.
A Kari-Keen Aircraft Inc. plane sits in the Leeds Airport test field at 4320 41st St. Many air shows and flying lessons took place here in the 1930s.
Trucks are parked outside the American Pop Corn Company in Leeds.
Residents try to clean the mud off the streets after the Floyd River flood in 1953. Flood waters damaged nearly 400 businesses in Sioux City and claimed the lives of 14 people.
Leeds and the American Pop Corn Company submerged in water from the Floyd River flood of 1953. The company bounced back rather despite the severe water damage and resumed normal operations by the end of the summer.
Leeds residents use a boat to traverse the streets after the Floyd River flood in 1953. Floyd Avenue and other streets were flooded up to the Highway 75 viaduct. Reports said the Floyd River rose seven feet in two-and-a-half hours.
Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.