DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a 2-year-old child died in Des Moines after ingesting a woman's prescription medications.
A Des Moines police news release says 38-year-old Amanda Leonard-Helum was arrested Tuesday in Waterloo on a warrant for child endangerment causing death. She was taken to Polk County Jail and remained there Wednesday, pending $25,000 bail. It's unclear whether she has an attorney.
Police say Leonard-Helum, of Waterloo, was trying to adopt the little boy, who was a child of her former boyfriend. She'd driven herself and the boy to Des Moines from Waterloo on June 26.
She learned after they arrived that the child had swallowed some of her medications. Police say she decided to monitor him rather than seek medical care. He died overnight. Toxicology reports indicate he died of an overdose of her medicines.
Hospital at 28th and Jennings streets
St. Joseph Hospital
St. John's Hospital
St. Vincent Hospital
St. Joseph demolition, 1968
Health Mercy Air Care
Crane moves MRI
UnityPoint Health-St. Luke's
Mercy Medical Center - Sioux City
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
They pleaded guilty to two counts of negligent child abuse causing serious injury. Prosecutors reduced the charges in return for their guilty pleas. The plea agreement says prosecutors and defense lawyers will recommend five years of probation for each parent.
Activists and relatives of the 13-year-old girl struck by a police officer trying to break up a fight said Monday the officer's actions were part of a pattern of using excessive force against Native Americans in South Dakota.
A police spokesman says emergency responders were called to the in-home about 2:30 p.m. Thursday and found the baby unresponsive. The child was taken to a Sioux Falls hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The family was at an event in October 2018 when an estimated 60 mph wind gust tore the inflatable from its moorings. Officials say the 2-year-old boy and his sister were thrown about 120 feet. He died; she suffered a concussion and a broken arm.