Subscribe for 33¢ / day

Where do I vote? You can find you polling place by entering your address at

What should I expect? At many polling places, a greeter will welcome voters and direct them either to sign in to vote or, if they aren’t registered, to a solutions table where they can complete their voter registration.

Can I register on Election Day? Yes. To register at your polling place, you must prove who you are and where you live using a valid Iowa driver’s license, for example. Also acceptable is another photo ID that is current, valid and contains an expiration date, such as an out-of-state driver's license, non-driver ID card, military ID, or ID issued by your employer, school or college.

Proof of residence could be a residential lease, current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or government check or other government document.

If you cannot prove who you are and where you live with the documents listed above, a registered voter from your precinct may attest for you.

If I’m registered, what do I need to bring? Iowa is not a voter ID state, so if your registration is current, including your address, nothing is needed. If you’ve moved, bring a driver’s license or something to prove your address.

Can I bring my children? Yes. However, pets should not be brought to the polls. Service animals are welcome.

Are there restrictions on what I can do at the polls? Yes. There should be no campaigning or political conversation. Only poll watchers arranged by the election officials and political parties or candidates nominated by petition have permission to be at polling places on Election Day.

Can I vote a straight ticket? Yes. You can vote for all of the candidates from a single party by marking the oval to the left of the party name. Marking a straight party vote does not include votes for nonpartisan offices, judges or questions.

It’s also possible to make an exception to a straight ticket vote by filling in the oval next to the name of a candidate from another party.

Will anyone ask me how I voted? Election officials will not. However, outside your polling place you may be approached by exit pollsters asking questions about your vote. Cooperation is voluntary.

What if I need help? If you need special assistance to vote because of a disability, you have the right to have an accessible voting location, assistance to vote and accessible voting equipment.

What if I see a problem? Call your county auditor’s office -- in Woodbury County, the number is 712-279-6465.


Copy editor

Load comments