YORK, Neb. (AP) — State troopers found two children reported missing by Michigan authorities and took their mother into custody, the Nebraska State Patrol said.
The 7-year-old boy and his 9-year-old sister had been traveling with their parents in their pickup truck, which was spotted Tuesday afternoon at a gas station in York. The children were turned over to Nebraska authorities for a return to Michigan.
Their mother, Rebecca Dunkelberger, was arrested on a Michigan warrant alleging a probation violation and allegations about violation of a custody order. It's unclear whether she has an attorney. Her husband, Dennis Dunkelberger, was released because there were no charges pending against him, authorities said.
Sioux City first school
The first Sioux City schoolhouse is seen on the right in this early photograph.
Sioux City Central School
Sioux City's first brick school building, called Central School, opened its doors circa 1870. It operated for 20 years.
West Third Street School
The West Third Street School at West Third and Bluff streets, opened in 1880.
West Side Brick
The First Ward School, also called West Side Brick, opened in 1872 on the Market Street site where the LAMB Arts Regional Theatre is located. It was torn down in the late 1930s.
East Third Street School
The East Third Street School at Third and Chambers (later at Sixth and Morgan) streets opened in 1883 and operated until 1929.
Eighth Street Primary
The Eighth Street Primary School (known by several names in its time) opened at Eighth and Pierce streets in 1882.
Wall Street School
The Wall Street School, at Seventh and Wall streets, opened in 1880 and operated until 1925.
Fifth Ward School
The Fifth Ward School opened at Wall and Dace streets in 1885. It operated until 1938.
East Side Brick
East Side Brick, later to be renamed Irving, opened at 11th and Jennings streets in 1886. It was one of several Sioux City schools that underwent extensive renovations in the following century and was in use until 2006.
The former Everett Elementary school opened in 1888, sharing the exact building plan of the Cooper school in Greenville, which was also built in the same year. Both buildings still stand, but underwent such extensive remodeling during the 20th century that they do not look at all like Everett seen in this photo.
The Cooper School in Greenville opened in 1888. It shares an identical building plan as the former Everett School on the west side. Both buildings still stand, but do not have their original appearance.
West Eighth Street School
Opened in 1887, the West Eighth Street School operated until 1934. Today, the McDonalds on Hamilton Boulevard sits near the site of the school.
Pearl Street School
The Pearl Street School, later named Bancroft after the statesman George Bancroft, opened in 1888.
Cole's Addition School
The Cole's Addition School, later called Franklin, opened in 1889 at Ninth and Plymouth streets. It was one of the schools that underwent extensive remodeling in the 20th century before it closed in 1982.
The Bryant School, named for poet William Cullen Bryant, opened in 1890.
Named for Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, the original Longfellow school opened in 1890. It lasted only three years.
Hawthorne School opened in 1891 and operated until 2008. It was one of the schools that underwent 20th century remodeling.
Longfellow School (second)
A second Longfellow School was built in 1893 to replace the previous one, which was built only three years earlier. It was one of the schools that was remodeled in the 20th century and remained in use until 2012.
Riverside School opened sometime in the 1890s at Hornick Street and Nash Avenue. It closed in 1914.
Hornick's Addition School
The Hornick's Addition School opened at West First and Leonard streets in the mid-1890s.
The Floyd School, named for Sgt. Charles Floyd, opened in 1902. It later underwent extensive remodeling before it closed in 1980.
Smith Villa School
The Smith Villa School, in the former home of early Sioux City resident William R. Smith, opened in 1899.
The Whittier School opened in 1902. It was remodeled in the 20th century and closed in 2015.
Crescent Park School
The Crescent Park School opened in 1906, as did Hunt School. Unlike Hunt, however, the wood-framed Crescent Park School closed after only 14 years.
The Hunt School was one of Sioux City's oldest school buildings when it closed at the end of the last school year. It opened in 1906.
The Joy School, which opened in 1912 and closed a century later, is today an apartment complex.
Lowell School opened in 1910 and closed in 2008.
The Follett House, 1309 Nebraska St., became the first building in Sioux City to house a high school (without other grade levels) in 1890. Classes were held there for two years.
Riverview School opened in 1914 and closed in 2002.
East Junior High School
Sioux City's East Junior High School opened in 1917, just eight years after the first-ever junior high school opened in the U.S. It closed in 1972.
West Junior High School
Sioux City's West Junior High School opened in 1919. It closed in 2003.
Roosevelt School, named for Theodore Roosevelt, opened in 1920. It remained open until 2014.
Crescent Park School
Another Crescent Park School, later called Bryant, opened at 27th and Myrtle streets in 1920.
Emerson School opened in 1921. It closed in 2014.
McKinley School, named for president William McKinley, opened in 1921.
Named for George Washington, Sioux City's Washington School opened in 1921. It closed in 2013.
East High School
East High School opened in 1925 and remained open until 1972.
Grant School, named for Ulysses S. Grant, opened in 1925. It closed in 2008.
Woodrow Wilson Junior High School
Sioux City's Woodrow Wilson Junior High School opened in 1925. It closed in 2005.
Leeds High School
Leeds High School opened in 1939, one of only a few high schools to be opened in Sioux City during the 1930s and 1940s. It closed in 1972.
The Webster Elementary school, built in 1939, has served as the home of the LAMB Arts Regional Theatre for decades.
Hunt Elementary School goodbye hug #4
Students hold hand while circling Hunt Elementary School to give it a "hug" Wednesday, May 29, 2019, on the last day of classes at the school.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Be the first to know
Get local news delivered to your inbox!