OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Investigators believe the shooting of a 15-year-old Omaha boy was accidental, Douglas County's top prosecutor said Thursday.
A 14-year-old is suspected of shooting to death 15-year-old Sylas Lieb inside a northeast Omaha home on Wednesday night. Officers called to the scene around 7:15 p.m. said Lieb had been shot in the chest.
You have free articles remaining.
Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine told television station KETV that Lieb, the 14-year-old suspect and an 18-year-old had been smoking marijuana most of the day before the shooting happened and said that the shooting was accidental.
The 14-year-old was booked into the Douglas County Youth Center on suspicion of manslaughter. The Associated Press typically does not name juveniles charged with crimes.
Omaha Central High School Principal Ed Bennett said in a note sent Thursday to the families of Central students that Lieb was a 10th grader at the downtown school, the Omaha World-Herald reported. Lieb has also attended Franklin Elementary School and Lewis & Clark Middle School, both in Omaha.