Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
1 dead in South Dakota after ingesting hand sanitizer with methanol
AP

1 dead in South Dakota after ingesting hand sanitizer with methanol

From the Coronavirus brief: The biggest COVID-19 stories from the last 24 hours in Sioux City, beyond series
{{featured_button_text}}
Police Lights

Police Lights

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — South Dakota health officials reported Thursday that one person has died of methanol poisoning after ingesting hand sanitizer containing methanol.

State epidemiologist Josh Clayton said two other people are hospitalized with methanol poisoning.

The Food and Drug Administration has warned people not to use certain alcohol-based hand sanitizers due to the dangerous presence of methanol, or wood alcohol. It is often used to create fuel and can be toxic when absorbed through the skin. It's life-threatening when ingested.

“Methanol is not an acceptable ingredient in hand sanitizer and must not be used due to its toxic effects,” Clayton said.

FDA warns against using two dozen hand sanitizers that could contain toxic wood alcohol
Sheriff: 1 dead in crash of crop duster in South Dakota
Police arrest South Dakota man in 1974 homicide

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Concerned about COVID-19?

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News